At the beginning of the school year, the private music teacher has a lot of work to do. Not only do we have to coordinate calendars with orchestras and other groups we play with, but we also have to create events for our own studio and groups.
This year, I had to coordinate schedules for all of the following:
- 40+ private students to take lessons each week
- group classes
- individual and group recitals
- use of space at two private schools and one church
- rehearsals and performances for my new community orchestra
- rehearsals and performances for the civic orchestra I play with
All of these responsibilities add up to a lot! It’s an amazing journey to get all of the kinks worked out of a schedule like this. I find it very helpful to have a Google calendar to share with ensemble members. I also like having it all on one planner. I find it helps keep me organized when I can look at an actual calendar. Filling in all the dates takes a lot of time, but is well worth it.